Saturday, May 12, 2012

Birthday Strawberries and Things to Come!

Hey, Hey, it's my birthday and what better day to reboot "Just a Sweet Geek" than today (Plus it's easier to remember the anniversary). I have a lot of things in mind for this blog now that I've rebooted it and my life by living Gluten Free. I leave for China in a week but already have backlog recipes to share with whoever stumbles upon this humble blog. I haven't been doing gluten free as long as many people out there who blog about the experience but I'm getting more proactive about it all.

A lot of recipes fill that midpoint of not fancy but not simple that are common for people living GF. I'm going to try to fill in the ends. The super simple stuff that people don't think about like techniques that can still be used with gluten free living and the fancier end things that people think are too hard for gluten free living. That isn't to say I won't do any middle ground. I'm all over the board with my recipes and I hope you'll enjoy them too. Now, I'm not going to say something is Gluten Free, it will be in the labels but the idea of Living Without has never appealed to me. Instead, I try to focus on what other ways I can eat things and be healthily happy so instead I'm just going to list the recipe so that it will seems natural to have it the way it is and there's no sense of deprivation.

Structure is a nebulous thing with me; I love it, but no one else seems to understand the logic but here's the breakdown. I'm going to give you the mise en place; the stuff you need to do what you need to do for the recipe so you can make sure you have it or a close substitute. Then the ingredients so you can have them together. Then the instructions. With my commentary of course. Then I'm going to try and figure out a way I can just link you to the flat recipe so you can print it out easily since that's the hardest thing to do with blog recipes I've found.

This first one though is a simple strawberry recipe. I live in Louisiana and we LOVE our strawberries down here and I've done all sorts of weird but yummy things with them. We're just ending our strawberry season but here's a good idea anyways. So I have a recipe for you that won't take more than about oh....ten or so minutes of active work time.

Deep Fried Strawberries with Chocolate Sauce
Difficulty: Super Easy just need to keep an eye on things
Time: About 10 prep, and 10 active
Makes: About 2lbs if you really WANT to eat that much. Generally you'll have leftover batter.
Mise en Place:
  • Deep Fryer or deep cast iron pan with oil (Peanut or Canola is best if you're not allergic)filled up and heating to at LEAST 350 but closer to 360 is preferable.
  • Chopsticks
  • Medium Mixing Bowl
  • Plate lined with paper towels
  • Small mixing bowl
  • Spoon and/or Fork
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb Strawberries (Freeze Fresh ones for at least two hours before hand (Stems removed))
  • Alternative: Already frozen and hulled strawberries
  • Alternative: Frozen Hulled Strawberries with a little bit of cream cheese inside the hull.
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/3-1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1/3 cup Soda Water
  • 1/6 cup Cornstarch
  • 2 TBSP Honey
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
While your oil is heating up, take the 1/3 cup of brown rice flour and put it in the medium mixing bowl. Add the cornstarch and stir with a spoon or fork. Add the egg yolk and the Soda Water and continue mixing with the honey. If the mix seems too thin you can add more rice flour. You're wanting the consistency of a slightly thick pancake batter. It will bubble up with the soda water reacting to everything.

For the Chocolate Sauce: Mix the chocolate and the heavy cream together and heat in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring then reheating until everything is melted and homogenous (mixed to the same throughout). If it still seems too thick, you can add a little more cream and mix. Might need to reheat if you want to use it over the strawberries while still warm but not too much heat at once.

For the Strawberries: Once you have the consistency and the oil is heated, you bring out the frozen strawberries. Throw no more than a few in at a time into the batter, coating them well. Now take the chopsticks and pull the strawberries out being very careful not to drip. (Less cleanup that way). Drop them carefully into the oil and let them fry. If using a deep fryer, be careful and don't let them on the heating coils inside the oil or they'll end up with burn marks. I try to hold onto the strawberries as long as I can with the chopsticks and use a basket between the strawberries and the heating coil. Once it is a nice soft brown (with brown rice flour they'll be a little darker) usually about 2 minutes or so, I use the basket to pull them out and place on the plate with the paper towel to dry. This part will take practice because  how long the strawberries take depends on the size of the strawberry. Sometimes they'll have a cold center or you might have to get the batter darker.



Oh, and don't forget to smile and say "Strawberries" when you get your picture taken. Gets a gorgeous smile every time!

This post links to Gluten Free Wednesday Strawberry Carnival





1 comment:

Fish said...

Strawberieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!